Over at Kudocities, the lovely cfalconer submitted her favourite summer pudding recipe which is both delicious and easy – no cooking required and can be prepared up to 36 hours in advance. Just the kind of recipe to bust out for a party – it both looks beautiful and tastes wonderfully rich, balanced out by the tartness of the fruit, and the crunchiness of the demerara sugar. I would recommend sprinkling a little more demerara before you serve, just to get that real crunch that can be a little lost in the cream/yoghurt overnight.
And, for a special extra twist, add a wee glug of an alcohol such as kirsch to your fruit before adding the cream/yoghurt. I used Rachel’s Organic honey yoghurt which gave it a really lovely extra sweetness, but you can use any yoghurt you like. Plain yoghurt is probably best, but I can’t pass up Rachel’s honey yoghurt when I see it in the shops!
Thanks CF for the recipe! It was divine!
CFALCONER’S FOOL PROOF SUMMER PUDDING
Handful of fruit of your choice, eg. raspberries, grapes, peaches, blueberries, strawberries, etc. (I used raspberries, blueberries and peaches)
2-3 tbsps liquor of choice, eg. Kirsch
1. Put the fruit in a bowl or individual glasses.
2. Pour the liquor over it and allow to steep.
3. Lightly whip together the plain yoghurt and cream (you want slightly more yoghurt than cream so that it blends rather than stiffens).
4. Pour on top of fruit and roughly smooth with the back of a teaspoon.
5. Sprinkle over demara sugar to a thickness of your choosing. Refrigerate at least overnight, but can be left for 36 hours.
6. Serve and smile to yourself as your guests ‘ooh’ and ‘aah’ over your handiwork. Apply spoon and shovel into pie-hole.
Good stuff. This one’s the first dessert recipe and was so simple and delicious and, of course, summery. Thanks again CF! If you want to get involved you know what to do.
Until next time, peace and love.